Next Stop Nowhere
I worked as a Technical Narrative Designer at Well Told Entertainment in collaboration with Night School Studio on Next Stop Nowhere, a narrative adventure game developed exclusively for Apple Arcade.
- Interpreted branching written script to design levels and scripted sequences.
- Technical gameplay implementation in Unity using proprietary visual scripting tools and C#.
- Helped create and iterate on layouts, story structure, and interactivity for levels consistent with narrative goals. Brought levels from greybox to production quality.
- Collaborated closely with Art and Animation teams on important story beats.
- Tested and fixed design-related bugs across the game.
AfterpartyI worked as a Technical Game Designer at Night School Studio (the creators of Oxenfree!!) on Afterparty, a game about two best friends trying to escape Hell by winning a drinking contest with Satan.
- Designed and scripted gameplay interactions in Unity.
- Implemented quests from narrative design team’s branching script using proprietary visual scripting tools and Unity editor tools including Timelines and Particle Systems.
- Staged NPCs, camera movement, and environment animations for playable cutscenes.
- Used Wwise to implement, update, and polish dialogue and sound effect audio.
ElemenTerraI worked as a Level Designer on ElemenTerra, a VR world-building puzzle game published by Starbreeze. Over the course of my contract, I created the game’s 7-10 minute level in Unreal Engine 4.
ElemenTerra won the Environmental Design Award at IndieCade Europe 2019! You can read more about it here :)
- Built out the level through concept, paper map, greybox, and production phases.
- Iterated on design based on feedback from daily playtests.
- Used existing assets to populate the majority of the level.
- Collaborated closely with an environment artist to develop and fine-tune visuals for portions that would need unique art.
- Wrote design documentation and playtest questions for the team to refer back to post contract.
The Under Presents
I worked as a Level Designer and Programmer at Tender Claws on The Under Presents, a VR multiplayer immersive theater experience, available on Oculus Quest and Rift.
- Designed levels and scripted interactions using Unity and C#.
Created a level concept and pitch based on an outline from narrative designers.
Built out the level in Unity using existing tools and assets.
Scripted environment interactions in C#.
Made my own editor tools to streamline my level design workflow.
Implemented LODs to optimize my level for performance in VR.
Wrote detailed documentation for my designs, tools, and features.
I worked as a Game Designer on Concrete Genie, an action-adventure game created by a small internal team at PlayStation.
Created prototypes in Unreal Engine 4 using Blueprint visual scripting.
Worked with engineers to flesh out prototypes into full features.
Systems design for the main enemy characters.
Level design and gameplay interaction scripting for the tutorial level.
You can learn more about Concrete Genie here and in the interview below.